The summer 2022 transfer window is now closed (almost anyway)
The biggest signing, and the most dramatic considering the deal deal became official about an hour after the transfer window was closed, was Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's transfer from Barcelona to Chelsea. Aubameyang left London in January when he went from Arsenal to Barca, but now he is back in the English capital. In exchange, the Catalans received Marcos Alonso and 12 million British pounds. Given how well Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang performed in Barcelona in the spring and he is a type of player that Chelsea lack, he will be interesting to watch in the EPL and is a likely candidate to finish in the top 10 in the top scorer list.
Aubameyang - here in another London team shirt
The most expensive player during this transfer window was Ajax midfielder Antony, who went to Manchester United for around 100 million Euros. Of course, a heavy loss for Ajax in terms of the teams line-up, but considering that they managed to almost quintuple the value since they bought him, it will probably feel OK for Ajax in the end. It remains to be seen if Antony can live up to the expectations that come with the price, probably not many saw him as a player worth 100 million a few weeks ago.
Antony - here in Ajax
Other interesting transfers on the so-called Deadline Day (or just before) are:
- Idrissa Gueye left Everton for Paris Saint-Germain in 2019 but now returns to Everton
- Chelsea and Arsenal's old Brazilian player Willian returns to the EPL, this time to Fulham
- Leander Dendoncker leaves Wolverhampton for Aston Villa, reported transfer fee is £13 million
- Brazilian Arthur Melo goes on loan from Juventus to Liverpool and is supposed to be the solution to Liverpool's injury crisis in the midfield
- Barcelona had an abundance of strikers and apart from Aubameyang they have also "got rid" of the Dane Martin Braithwaite, who stays in the city of Barcelona but moves to the club Espanyol
- Full back Héctor Bellerín leaves Arsenal and returns to Barcelona, where he once received his football upbringing
- Spanish national team player Carlos Soler leaves Valencia and goes to Paris Saint-Germain for around SEK 200 million
- Reliable from goalscorer Gaëtan Laborde went from Montpellier to Rennes last season and now he is moving on to another French center club, this time Nice
- Old German super talent Julian Draxler is done in PSG for now, new club address will be Benfica on loan this season