The top six scorers in the history of the Premier LeagueThe English Premier League (EPL) is one of the most exciting football leagues in the world. The competition has its roots between the separation of the First Division of the Football League and the Football League (which was founded already back in 1888). The competition in its current format and name has been held since 1992. The reason for the breakaway was to take advantage of some great television right offers, that have made EPL the richest league in the world today. Over the years, many English and international stars have become legends of this league. Here we take a look at the top six scorers this league has seen since its start in 1992.
1. Alan Shearer - 260 goalsAlan Shearer tops this list with a total of 260 goals in his time in the Premier League. He spent his professional career in the clubs Blackburn Rovers, Southampton and Newcastle United. Today these clubs are not any of the biggest clubs in EPL but thank to Alan Shearer they were back in these days.
2. Wayne Rooney - 208 goalsThe English striker Wayne Rooney is famous throughout the world for his time at Manchester United, where he spent most of his career. Rooney originally joined the Everton youth team and moved to Manchester United in 2004, then as an established super talent. With nearly 400 appearances for the club, Rooney scored an impressive 183 goals. He also scored 25 goals in Everton (he had one short session after Man U as well), giving him a total of 208 EPL goals.
3. Andy Cole - 187 goalsFormer English international Andy Cole was a fierce forward whose career spanned from 1989 to 2008. He achieved his greatest success at Manchester United, where he scored 93 goals in 195 games, forming a deadly dangerous striker duo with Dwight Yorke. However, he also played for teams like Fulham, Manchester City, and Blackburn. He is the third highest scorer in the league with 187 Premier League goals in total.
4. Sergio Agüero - 180 goalsArgentinian Sergio Agüero joined Manchester City after five successful years in Spanish Atlético Madrid in 2011, and is despite all his injury problems through the years the 4th best goal scorer in the history of the league. From 2011 Agüero have scored 180 goals in Premier League, and is the only player on this list that is still active.
5. Frank Lampard - 177 goalsFrank Lampard was a talented midfielder from goal to goal (he could dominate the entire pitch with great ease). After first joining West Ham United, Lampard moved to Chelsea in 2001, where he would have a stellar career as one of the best midfielders in the world. He scored a total of 177 league goals, which is an amazing result for a midfielder. Lampard also scored 29 goals in 106 games for the English national team.
6. Thierry Henry - 175 goalsThe only non-English player in this list is the French elegant player Thierry Henry. Joining Arsenal from Juventus in 1999 as a super talent, he became one of the best and memorable player in the history for his English club Arsenal. He was part of the glorious season of 2004 when Arsenal won the league undefeated. He scored 175 goals in total.
Note: At the time of the writing of this article Sergio Agüero was still active and most likely will go on scoring even more goals and probably passing Andy Cole in this list in the end.